Monday, October 18, 2010

Sticky Situations and Surprises






~oOo~


December 29th



I stood out on the deck in the cold air, my sweater pulled closely around me and my hands curled around a cup of steaming tea. I called to Darcy to hurry it up and finish doing his business. "Come on, handsome. Let's get back to your harem." We slipped back into the warmth of the house and the friends who filled the space. Girls' Night! All of my dearest girl friends had come together to spend some much needed quality time. We all agreed that a little girl bonding was long overdue, and what says "girl bonding" more than a movie marathon? Well, it was more of a double feature, really. The popcorn was popped, the Coronas had been chilled with the obligatory lime wedge resting at the bottom of each bottle, the floor was strewn with oversized, fluffy pillows, and our movies sat waiting on top of the DVD player: Grease I and II.



The girls each greeted the only male allowed within a two mile radius that night. Rose, Alice, and my best friend from out west, Angie, were all over for a good old fashioned sleepover. The only difference from those of our youth and this night was the sleepwear had "matured" a bit. Gone were the flannel PJs and sleep shorts, now we all wore our favorite nighties. Wrapped in robes of satin and lace we all cuddled up on the pillow-covered floor in front of the fire that crackled and flickered below the flatscreen. The familiar opening credits and title sequence for Grease drew our attention.



"I fucking love this movie!" All eyes went to Rose as she popped a kernel of kettle corn into her mouth.



"Seriously? I thought for sure you'd hate it, and we'd have to bribe you to watch it," I admitted to the breathtaking blonde next to me. I swear, if I played for the other team....



"Hell, yeah! What's not to like? Fuckhot men, hot rods, cheesy song lyrics, and pompadours, for the win!"



Alice, who was curled up on the couch behind us, leaned over my shoulder. "Don't get her started on Grease II. It has choppers in it. She creams her panties at the mere mention of the title." Rosie moaned loudly, as if to make an honest woman out of Alice.



"Can we just skip to that one? Maxwell Caulfield was so fucking hot, and filled out those jeans so much better than John Travolta!"



"No WAY!" Angie wasn't about to sit back and let anyone diss her aging heartthrob like that! "JT was hawt! When he sings 'Greased Lightning' I totally lose it. We have to watch Grease first. Pleeeeease?"



I looked to Alice who just shrugged at me. "I don't care either way, ladies," I said as I tried to be the peacemaker, "but we're gonna watch them both, so why not just watch them in order?" Rose huffed and puffed a little, but she was only joking. I think.



We did start off with the original Grease, and I kept picturing Edward in a black hot rod with flames painted down the side, and his hair slicked back into a perfectly coifed 50's do. Chrome and Edward's crotch in tight denim did crazy things to my girlie parts. Right off the bat we all decided that Rose was Rizzo. Then things got out of control until everyone was assigned a character to match their personality. The only time we weren’t chatting incessantly was when we were singing with the music or quoting our favorite lines.



"Well, if I'm Rizzo, then Alice is Frenchie." Rose was adamant. We all agreed.



"And that means Jazz is Doody. I love it when he calls Frenchie a 'beautiful blonde pineapple.'"



"So does that make Em Kenickie?" Alice taunted her.



"Hell no! Em is Michael," Rose countered.



"No fair, Rosie! Michael is from the second movie. We're only doing the first one." Alice could be passionate about her pop culture, apparently.



"Says who, ya little Kewpie doll?"



"Kewpie doll, huh? Ever seen a Kewpie doll with these?" Alice chose that moment to flash us all her perfectly pierced nipples, each one run through with tiny bars tipped with red stones.



"Ugh, Allie! Put those things away!" I covered my eyes, joking that she was blinding me with her high beams. The truth was, at this point, there was no modesty amongst us, and apart from Mini, we all knew about Alice's bling. Rose had some as well, but I was just praying at that point that she didn't have plans to spread eagle and share hers as well. I didn't think my stomach was up to that tonight. I was her friend, not her gynie. I did not need to see the woman's vajayjay any more than I needed to see Alice's tits. They'd been trying to talk me into adding a little sparkle somewhere "special" lately, but I had thus far maintained that if the good Lord had wanted a hole in any of those regions, then He would have put them there Himself. They hadn't yet counter-argued that I had pierced ears. Or a tattoo. Neither of which I was born with. Thank heaven for small miracles. They'd even recruited the Perv Princess, Angie, to the "Pierce Bella's Naughty Bits" campaign. It was getting a little ridiculous.



"Back to the movie...." Ah, Angie. Always the voice of reason. No, not really, but tonight she seemed to be. "So, who would Bella be?"



Alice and Rose answered in unison, "Stephanie!!"



"Um, I thought we weren't doing the second movie yet," I argued.



"We aren't. Keep up. But Stephanie was a bad ass, while Sandra Dee was a prude. You, dear Bella, are no prude," replied the one with the sparkly nips. I was so confused at this point that I really didn't care, I just wanted more alcohol. Things might make more sense if I was a tad drunker. I hopped up to get a martini. I decided instead to just grab the bottle of Grey Goose and bring it back to the girls. We were drinking it like it was water anyways.



When I came back into the room they were all arguing over which character Edward would be. Everyone agreed that he'd be the perfect Danny, but if I was Stephanie then he'd have to be Michael. My Edward was no baby-faced, good boy Michael, that was for sure. So, after a heated debate and watching more than half of Grease II, the decision was made that we'd forgo the strict lines that divided the two movies and say that I was Stephanie and Edward was Danny. Two bad asses. One movie. Don't judge, we were drunk, very, very drunk. It was also decided that we would both have choppers. It all made perfect sense to our sloshy minds.



The Girls' Night had been a raging success and suited its purpose of bringing my girlfriends- old and new- together for some much needed girl time. That was until the guys decided to attempt a panty raid. Cripes, how old were we? The guys skulked off with their tails between their legs and empty handed after Mr. Darcy heard them outside and scared the piss out them when they tried to sneak in. I'd gotten used to seeing Edward cowering and cupping his junk protectively around the mutt, but adding Jazz and Emmett to the picture was one of the funniest things I think I'll ever live to see. Dad had flown in for the holidays on the same flight as Angela. The man actually fell off his chair laughing so hard when I told him about it the next day over lunch. He had rented a condo not too far from me, even though I had insisted he stay with me. Angie was staying over, so I didn't see why he couldn't as well.



I was a little hurt that he didn't want to stay with me, but he argued, "You're a grown woman, Bells, who has a life of her own. You don't need your old man hanging around, cramping your style." My "old man" failed to mention at the time that he planned to bring his girlfriend, Sue with him. Her visit was meant to be a surprise, and boy was it! Those two were more handsy than a couple of teenagers in the back seat of a Chevy on prom night. I was more than relieved to have them shacking up someplace else. I was happy for my dad, but the last place I ever needed to see his hands were shoved down into the ass pockets of the woman who used to be the den mother for my Brownie Troop. Don't laugh; I was a member of the Girl Scouts of America for about fifteen minutes when I was six. But then there was that unfortunate incident involving Mom's curtains and a young Bella practicing to earn her fire badge. Seriously, what kind of organization teaches six year olds to light things on fire? But I digress. I was forced to abandon my Girl Scout career, and I took up piano lessons instead. As it turned out, those were less flammable, or something.



Dad and I had a nice visit, that is when he came up for air long enough to talk. We had several heart to heart talks. There was the somewhat uncomfortable discussion when Mom and Phil joined Dad and Sue at my place for a nice, grownup dinner. Edward was there to support me and to be honest, keep the body count down. Mom and Dad hadn't been in the same room together since my high school graduation. I've tried to block out the entire incident, but my right eye still twitches a little whenever there's platters of sliced cold cuts served. Meat fights can get mighty ugly. Take my word for it. To my great surprise, the evening was delightful. Everyone was civil and downright pleasant. My guess was that old age had made them all more docile. Edward's theories had more to do with the amount of alcohol that was being consumed. Whatever the cause, Dad behaved himself with Sue. He explained that they had reconnected a few years ago when he'd signed up for Match-dot-com and Sue came across his profile. She said she knew instantly he was the "Charlie Swan" she used to know by the tell-tale Tom Selleck 'stache he still sported. Mom and Phil talked about the upcoming cross country trip they were planning to take next year, and both couples delighted in bombarding Edward and me with uncomfortable questions. The winner was probably my mother asking, in front of all present, if Edward and I would like the "magnum" sized condoms that she and Phil had left over, seeing as how they wouldn't need them now that he'd had his "swimmers snipped." I explained to her that Edward and I had everything under control as far as "that" was concerned, as I mopped up the mess Edward had spewed all over the table. She would have you all believe that she was just being helpful, but I knew she was fishing for confirmation on how big Edward's disco stick was.



Dad had plenty to say after meeting the Cullen clan. I don't think I'd ever heard Charlie say that many words in my entire lifetime. He was impressed that Carlisle was a doctor and asked to have a tour of Eclipse Choppers before he left. Then there was the discussion when I told Dad that I loved Edward Cullen. And his son. That was fun. Dad knew about Edward. I called home enough that he knew I was serious about this guy. He was well aware that Masen was my student, and we'd had many a conversation about how I should handle the situation of dating the father of one of my students. His wise and thought provoking advice was in true Charlie Swan form, "Baby girl, do you like this guy, or what? Then get your head out of your ass and make it work. To hell with what the school thinks!" Considering Dad's no nonsense approach to dispensing advice, it should be pretty clear why I might have been a teeny bit concerned about how'd he react to my being in love with a guy I hadn't known for very long. Still he was eager to meet the man who had captured my heart and the man-child who was the only one who eclipsed that love. After a wonderful day of relaxing on the beach, throwing Frisbees to Mr. D, building sand castles, and watching the "Cullen Boys," as Dad called them, surf, I waved goodbye as the three most important men in my life pulled away from my house in two separate vehicles. My phone rang not long after they'd gone. It was Dad.



"You know, Bella, I've always wanted a grandson. I had a wonderful time. It's easy to see why you love them. Thanks, again for a lovely day." We exchanged "I love yous," my voice thick with unshed tears. Later, when Edward came back from dropping off Mini at his parents’ house, I let the tears flow freely while I told him about the phone call. They were happy tears, and being wrapped safely in Edward's arms made them that much sweeter. That wonderful, beautiful, sexy as hell man of mine spent the rest of the night kissing away my tears. My heart felt like it could burst from the joy and love.




~oOo~





With all the excitement of family visiting, Edward had given me my Christmas presents early. The first I was ecstatic over: a weekend getaway to Savannah, Georgia. I had been bugging him to get out of town for a while now, just the two of us, and he knew how much I loved that city. The second was a bit of a shock and, to put it gently, overkill. Upon presenting the bike to me, (yes, Edward gave me a motorcycle for Christmas. Overkill, right?) Edward told me that he'd been working on an Eclipse Chopper for me from the moment he had seen me ride off on Janice the first day we met. Something about an "ass as fine as yours needs to be straddled over an Edward Cullen original." Well, I was officially the proud owner of such a bike. I was shocked and tried to argue that the bike and the trip were too much. He insisted the trip was already paid for, and Emmett astutely pointed out that the shiny red bike had my name painted on the side, so it wasn't like they could sell it to someone else.



"I got that part, tard. That's kinda what 'custom' means, or had you not gotten that far in the dictionary yet?" I scoffed at Captain Obvious.



"Whatever, Teach. You know what I meant. Hey, Eddie? You sure you're taking care of her 'needs'? Because she's acting like Bitchella these days!"



I punched him hard for the last comment and called him a 'tool' like the thirteen year old I could be at times. He rubbed where I'd hit him, adding, "Yeah, I'm a tool! A jackhammer! Just ask Rosie." That earned him another punch from me and a hand to the back of the head from Rose.



I had to admit, the bike was beautiful, and the thought and care he put into it was beyond anything I had seen before. The color was perfect, and while my other two bikes were a good fit size wise, this bike was obviously made specifically for me. It was heavy enough to keep it on the ground, but other than that, it was just enough bike for me to handle. Even with the custom touches to my Hogs, they always seemed weighty. Luckily, I'd never had to try to right one because neither had ever fallen over. I was crazy careful with my girls! I felt guilty having three bikes, so I told Angie that she'd be receiving a shipment in the next month or so. I figured that if anyone would love a pink Hog as much as I did, it would be Ang. So, it was with as much grace as I could muster that I accepted both gifts. It was a hell of a lot easier to accept the bike after Edward whispered that he was glad that I hadn't refused it seeing as he had an emotional attachment to it. I knew that chopper looked familiar! But then again, I was a little preoccupied when I'd seen it last. I was busy, or should I say I was "getting busy" at the time? Damn, when did Emmett take over my brain? Anyway, like I was saying before Emmett so rudely took over my thought process, I was otherwise occupied when last I saw the bike. Not to mention it wasn't even completed at that time. I have to admit that I had an instant attachment to the machine as well. I may have whispered back to him that I'd love to recreate that evening in my own garage sometime soon.



It was the sound of the phone in my back pocket that distracted me from what most certainly would have been an NC-17 daydream. When I answered the cockblocker, my tone may or may not have been a bit terse.



"Hello."



"Is this Bella Swan?" The voice on the other end of the phone questioned.



"Yes, it is. May I ask who this is?"



"I'm sorry, this is Brandon Stewart with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. I was wondering, could have a word with you?"





~oOo~




I don't mind going grocery shopping, I mean, it's a necessity. You wanna eat? Then you have to shop. I'd just much rather be shopping for shoes. If I'm organized and focused, then I can make it in and out the store in pretty good time. But ever since my run in with the Ice Queen, I find I like the whole food shopping experience even less. I knew I'd have to meet her sooner or later; the woman is Mini's biological mother. I had hoped it'd be later, though. Much later. But we don't always get what we want in life, a fact I'm very aware of. I never imagined that my first encounter with Masen's "mother," and I use the term loosely, would go down the way it did. And lucky me, it happened in my neighborhood grocery store. With Masen standing next to me.



We had run up to the store to grab some snacks for the guys; they were having a bike detailing party and all of our bikes were lined up out in the sun at Eclipse Choppers getting the royal treatment. Rose, Alice, Mini and I hopped in Em's Hummer and went for supplies. Once at the store, we split up: Rose and Alice went for beer and sodas while Mini and I stocked up on selection of snacks. Our cart had several types of chips and junk food tossed together and we were headed to the produce section for some fruits and veggies to make us feel less guilty about the crap that we already had. I was busy cataloging the reasons why we needed healthy snacks, all of which were lost on a ten year old boy, or I might have avoided careening into a cart that was rounding the corner the same time we were. I immediately began apologizing to the poor woman whose cart I'd smashed into, even thought she had been on the "wrong" side of the aisle to begin with, but my contrite words were cut off when she started shrieking like a banshee amongst the shrimp and fish filets. For a moment I stood there in shock while she ranted about how I was a menace to society. Then I felt Masen slip behind me, hiding from the looney woman who looked as if she were about to have an aneurysm in front of the live lobster tank. I reach around behind me, making a connection to him and felt him shiver at my touch before he tucked in close to my back. I could feel the warmth of his breath coming in quick gasps through the thin cotton of my top. I couldn't care less what this woman thought about me, but I wasn't about to stand by and let her scare the little man.



"Uh, excuse me, could you please lower your voice?" I continued, "And nothing appears to be damaged." My voice was much calmer then I felt inside. I had no clue that the witch that stood seething before me was, in fact the Wicked Bitch of the West. In the flesh. That bit of information might have been helpful; then I would have realized from the beginning that there was no reasoning with the giant basket of crazy that blew up at me again.



"Lower my voice? Who do you think you are, telling me what to do? First you mow me down with your cart, and then you tell me to shut up like I'm some sort of dog?"



"Now, wait a second," I cooed in what I hoped was a soothing voice, "I never told you to 'shut up,' I just asked you to not be so loud. You're scaring small children and sending dogs into fits of epilepsy with all the high pitched yelling. I've apologized and I assure you I didn't intentionally run into your cart, that's why it's called an accident." Behind me, Mini had balled the hem of my shirt in his hand, so I swiveled to wrap my arm around him and pulled him to my side. His arms wrapped around my waist and he buried his face into my ribs.


There was a crowd forming around us. I saw a manager hurrying toward our little show. I wondered where the hell Rose and Alice were, and I did a quick scan to see if they were nearby. Nope, nowhere. Crazy was opening her mouth and sucking all available oxygen into the abyss of her pie hole when it snapped shut. The wide-eyed, deranged look was replaced with one of confusion, or was that constipation? Either way, her demeanor completely changed. By that time the manager had made it over to us.



"Ladies, can I help you with something? Is there some sort of problem," he asked in a way too perky voice. I was about to assure him that everything was fine, and that it was all just a misunderstanding, but Crazy spoke before I could.



"Oh, aren't you just the sweetest? No, everything is just fine. Just a little 'ole misunderstanding. Thank you for offerin' though!"


What the fuck? Who was this? Sybil? Two seconds ago she was about to rip my head from my shoulders and use it for a bowling ball in the soda aisle. Then, suddenly she's Scarlett O'Hara and as sweet as a jasmine scented breeze? Her name must be Sybil.... Once the manager shooed away the crowd of onlookers and he was positive there wasn't any chance of a bloody chick fight, he went on about his merry way. Clean up on aisle seven. I turned to steer our cart towards the produce; Mini was still pasted to my side. I leaned down to hear Mini ask me quietly, "Who peed in her snap, crackle, and pops?" I had to chuckle at his joke, even if it was kind of inappropriate.



As we passed carefully by her cart we heard Crazy Sybil lady call after us, "Masen?" My head whipped around to eye the other woman. It was then that I finally recognized her. Edward had shown me pictures of them from their college days, and while she was older, it was, without a doubt, Masen's mother. I pulled him a little closer as I realized that Crazy from a few moments ago was also she who bore the awesomeness that now clung to me as if his life depended on it. Suddenly I was really happy that I'd kept my cool with this psycho bitch earlier.



"Mini, could you go over there and grab me the biggest bag of baby carrots you can find? Oh, and pick out something to dip them in, ok?" I tried to put as much space between the Ice Queen and the boy as possible. There was no way this was going to end well. I just hoped it wouldn't end with me spending the night in the pokey. I could feel my face morph from the calm, easy expression it held to a cold, seething glare as I turned to face Jessica. She moved to follow him, but I blocked her path with my cart.



"Get out of my way. That's my son over there. Neither you nor anyone else can keep him from me." she said scathingly. I couldn't believe she had the audacity to make such a claim on the child that stood mere feet away.



"I'm afraid you are mistaken. There's no way that you could be his mother."



"And who the hell are you, his father's latest fuck buddy? I think I'd know my own son if I saw him. Now, get the hell out of my way before I move you myself."



I was careful to keep my voice level and quiet. "I will do no such thing. You wouldn't know your ass from a hole in the ground, Jessica," I said, and she recoiled as if I'd slapped her at the sound of her name. "Yes, I know exactly who you are, and believe me when I tell you again, that you are NOT that little boy's mother. I'm only going to say this once, so listen closely." I shifted closer to her and almost whispered, "You are not wanted here. Not by Edward, not by Masen, and most certainly not by me. The best thing you ever did for that child was walk out of his life and not look back. You really want to undo the only noble thing you have ever done in your pathetic lifetime by waltzing into his life and screwing him up? Well, I won't let you. Edward's too kind and good to tell you fuck off, so consider this your going away party. I couldn't care less where you go, but I'd suggest you just crawl back under whatever rock you slithered out from. That sweet child does not need your brand of crazy in his life, and I, for one, will do everything in my power to assure that he never has to be subjected to it." I paused to take a breath. Jessica's mouth opened and shut like a fish struggling for air. "Just... don't. Do everyone a favor, including yourself, and turn your cart around and go. I'd hate for those pretty extensions of yours to end up all over the floor. Go, Jessica, and I wouldn't contact Masen or the Cullens again. Edward's kindness will only stretch so far before it snaps."



I walked away from the scene, shaking and knowing that if I didn't put space between myself and the Ice Queen that I would find out how much force one needed to exert on cheap extensions to remove them from another's scalp. Masen was still looking at the carrots and dressings, not sure exactly what I had wanted. I was positive that he knew who she was, but I hoped he hadn't seen or overheard our final exchange. I quickly grabbed a bag of veggies and some ranch dressing, tossing them into the basket.



"Come on, sweetie, let's get back to the shop. I bet the men folk are starving. Why don't you steer the cart? I seem to be terrible at it today." Overjoyed to be driving anything, Masen's mood shifted back to the carefree kid I loved as I draped my arm over his shoulders protectively. I couldn't help but notice as he looked back to where Jessica still stood staring at us. I also noticed when he shifted so that he walked very close to me as he pushed the cart ahead of us. We met Rose and Alice on the next aisle and made our way to the check out. I breathed a sigh of relief once we were all in the Hummer and on our way back to Eclipse. That was until I realized I needed to tell Edward about what had just happened.


I was so nervous about telling Edward about what had happened at the store. There was the nagging feeling deep inside telling me that I'd overstepped my boundaries, and that he'd agree with me. He surprised everyone by calmly walking a few feet from the rest of us as he fished his phone from his back pocket. At first we couldn't hear what he was saying, but soon the conversation became more heated and his motions more animated. A few choice phrases floated over to where we looked on expectantly.



"If you ever fucking come near any of them again.... I don't care who you think you are or what you think you're entitled to.... restraining order....callous bitch....climb back on the broom you flew in on and get the fuck out of our lives. You'll be hearing from my attorney."



Later, after we'd all rehashed the bitchfest from the shopping fiasco and finished up with the bikes, everyone headed back to their respective homes. Everyone except me. I followed Edward back to his place with Mini perched on the back of my beloved bike, Janice. He was so cute begging to ride home with me that I couldn't refuse. We pulled into the parking space next to his dad.



"She rides so smooth, B! It’s like riding on a magic carpet!" exclaimed the little man as he climbed off the back of my Hog.



"That's the beauty of a high performance machine, Mini. You get what you pay for."



"Watch it, woman," warned the gorgeous, windblown man standing next to me. "You happen to be in a committed relationship with a bike builder. You'd best watch what you say or you might find yourself in a heap of trouble. And you, young man! You had best remember what side your bread is buttered on." Edward nudged his son out of the way and drew me to his side.



"Aw, Dad," Masen argued as he returned the playful shove, "B and I aren't saying there's anything wrong with choppers."



"Yeah!" I agreed a bit too enthusiastically. Edward shot me an amused smirk, thoroughly enjoying the exchange.



"What were you two traitors trying to say then?"



"Just that... Janice ROCKS!" Masen cheered and jumped up to slap me a high five. We shared a hug that resembled more of a WWF move than an embrace and sauntered off, leaving a bewildered Edward in our wake.



"Hey! Wait up you two Benedict Arnolds!"



Edward ran to my place to pick up Mr. D while I stayed with Mini and got dinner started. Mini sat down at the piano and began to play.



"Sounds great, Mini maestro. Bring up the tempo a bit though," I called from the kitchen. Masen complied and moved onto another piece flawlessly. After one more selection I was finished with the dinner preparations. I dried my hands and went to sit with him on the bench. We toyed around with chords and harmonies for a few minutes before he flowed into a very familiar tune. It was "Need," the song I'd play when I found myself lost in thoughts of Reese. After a few bars he glanced sideways as me. "Sing it for me, B?" he requested.



"Why do you want to hear this sad song, little man? You doing okay?" I eyed him carefully. He hadn't shown any signs he was upset all afternoon, but it was obvious that he was, at the very least, shaken up by the encounter with Jessica. I hated that she'd managed to reduce this confident, outgoing kid to a quiet worry wart in one meeting.



"I'm fine," he assured me, "just thinking about some stuff is all."



"You wanna talk about it?" I probed.



"Nah. I just wanna hear you sing."



I watched him for a few seconds, and then I positioned my hands to take over the chords he was playing. "Here, let me. Just listen, okay?" He nodded his compliance and rested his head against my arm. I pressed a kiss to the top of his head, the unruly hair tickling my face. The gesture felt so natural, so...right. I waited for the beginning chords to loop around again and began to sing as he requested. The lyrics perfectly fit the emotions swirling around the room. It was as if he was using the song to let me know what thoughts were clouding that brilliant mind of his. I stopped singing to reassure him, "Masen, you know you're safe, and that Dad will always be with you, right?" The somber notes stretched out like vines around us; reaching and tangling in all the unspoken thoughts. His head nodded against my arm. "You are so very loved, baby. Nobody loves you more than your daddy, and nothing can change that."



"I know," he mumbled into the room, but he didn't sound convinced. By the time I'd finished the song, the brave little boy rested against me; his body weighty with the sleep that had overtaken him. Carefully, I turned to cradle him in my arms. Moments later Edward walked in with Darcy and found us seated at his piano: I was still humming to the precious man-child softly snoring against my breast.



"What's this?" Edward nodded in our direction. Darcy trotted in the room and sat next to the bench closest to Mini.



"I think the Jessica thing upset him a lot more than he let any of us know," I whispered. "The poor thing's exhausted. I think we should get him to bed."



"Did he say anything to you?" Edward looked so tired himself. I was worried about my men, and nothing brought me more joy than the thought that I might be able to help them both.



"Not really, sweetie. I did my best to reassure him that he was safe and very loved. He fell asleep while I was playing for him. Maybe he'll be able to talk to you tomorrow after he's had a good night's rest." Edward slipped his arms under Masen and lifted him to carry him to bed.



"Help me with him?" The request was so simple, but felt like it held more than the obvious plea to help ready the child for bed. I followed him with Darce close on my heels.



"Of course, I will. I'll do anything I can for both of you. You know I love you." He pressed his lips to mine in a chaste kiss that told me he knew what I meant.



Once Edward had Mini changed and situated in the bed, Darcy hopped up next to his best friend. The two snuggled together as we tiptoed out to the hall. Dinner preparations were quiet with just the radio playing softly in the background. We were both too caught up in our own thoughts to say much. The gravity of the afternoon weighed on us. Edward broke the silence.



"Babe?"



"Yes, Edward?"



"Thank you."



"What for? I haven't done anything. Not really."



"Not true. You went all 'momma bear' on the bitch today and took care of the one thing that means most to me in this world. I can never thank you enough for that."



"Sweetie, I really don't know what to tell you. One minute we were shopping and the next I was threatening to go ghetto on your ex-bitch while your son looked on, possibly scarring him in the process. I'm not sure that warrants undying gratitude, but I can assure you that I don't regret it, and if given the chance I'd do it all again. That little boy has known nothing but love and protection his entire life. You did that. You and your family. I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and I was forced to respond to the situation. It's nothing I deserve thanks for."



He reached across the table and held my hand. His thumb traced circles on the back of my hand. The warmth from his touch radiated through my body and sent the butterflies in my stomach on a flutterfest.



"Bella, you're wrong. You do deserve gratitude. Yes, for today at the store when you stood up to the bitch, but even more, thank you for loving Masen enough to do so. Thank you for loving us."



Edward leaned in to express his appreciation, and when the distance between us was too far to comfortably express his feelings, he pulled me out of my seat and into his lap. Our mouths met in sweet, gentle pushes and pulls. Our lips explored one another, roaming and reconnecting after an emotional day. We both tried to pour everything we felt into that one kiss. I felt his tongue tease my lip, urging me to grant him access. I willingly complied. As the kiss deepened, the warmth of my desire for this man's physical touch spread throughout my body and our dinner sat forgotten. Until the phone rang.



"Ignore it," Edward grunted between kisses. His hands finally caught up to the exploration his lips were privy to. He moaned when they brushed against the tender flesh of my breasts. The phone rang again, and again.



I grinned into his kisses. "Baby, answer it. It might be important." He whined like a four year old, but then his cell phone went off. A look of concern and a touch of fear washed over his face.



"Hello, Edward Cullen," he answered. From what I could gather from the one side of the conversation I was privy to, something was wrong. Edward confirmed my suspicions.



"Um, hun? I gotta run to Eclipse. That was the alarm company. There's either been a break in or something's set off the alarm. I have to meet the police at the shop."



"Oh, my gosh, Edward! Do you really think someone tried to break in?"



"It's happened before, sweetie, but I won't know until I get down there."



"Go then, and Darcy and I will hold down the fort until you get back." He looked worried about taking off. He looked over my shoulder in the direction of the bedrooms and the sleeping child tucked in his bed. "We'll be fine. Do what you need to and come home to us. We'll be here waiting."



He glanced in Masen's direction once more before pulling me to him and kissing me sweetly. It was a tender gesture of thanks. He grabbed his keys, pausing to press a kiss to my temple as I held the front door open for him reassuringly. "Thanks, babe. I'll be back as soon as I can."



"Ride safe." I pleaded as he walked toward the elevator.



"Promise."



I settled on the couch to pass the time until the man I adored returned. There was nothing on T.V. that held my interest. I didn't want to risk disturbing Mini, so playing was out of the question. Deciding that reading was my best bet, I reached for my iPhone and opened the iBook app. I'd been reading this amazing series about a brotherhood of hot, bad ass vamps that I read every spare moment I had. Just as I was getting comfortable I heard a familiar jingle and the clicking of four paws on the hardwood. I looked up to see my companion and protector seated before me. "Hey there, big guy. You finally remembered who you owe your cushy existence to?" He rested his head in my lap as if to apologize for ignoring me. "It's ok, sweet boy," I absolved him with a scratch behind the ears, "He needs you and I understand." He thanked me with a swipe of his tongue on my bare leg. "Ugh, thanks, buddy."



Darcy joined me on the couch and we settled in. I was once again drawn into the world of vamps, Chosen, and Lessers when I heard a cry ring out from down the hallway. I sprang up and flew down the hall towards Masen's room with Darcy right behind me.



Flipping on the light, my eyes searched for him amongst the covers. Darcy was already on the bed, digging to get to his boy. I gently moved the beast out of the way and tossed back the bedding altogether. Masen shot up from the bed. Fear and tears covered his face. He looked so small and younger than I had ever known him to look. I reached for him and he plastered himself to me; he clung to me as if his very life depended on it. His breath was hot against my neck as the sobs erupted from his little chest.



"Shhhh, baby, shhhh. It's okay, sweetie," I whispered soothingly, "Shhhhh. You're safe. It was just a dream. Breathe. Shhhh, I'm here. I've got you, Masen." With one arm I held him as tight as I could without hurting him, the other rubbed circles along his back. He continued to cry, but the intensity seeped out of him with every passing moment. I felt his body relax against mine. The cries turned to sniffles and shudders, and I felt his arms loosen their death grip on my neck. I shifted his weight so he was sitting across my lap, his head cradled to my chest.



I continued to rub his back and coo reassuring things, and eventually he calmed and I felt his heartbeat slow to a normal pace. "Masen, sweetie, what has you so upset? Was it a bad dream?" He tightened his hold on me, so I reassured him, "It's okay, baby. I'm not going anywhere. Sometimes it helps to talk about it. It makes whatever upset you less scary. Can you tell me?" He never answered me. He just shook his head "no." Darcy moved to sit with us, gently pawing at Masen as if to ask if he was all right. The sweet animal laid his head in the boy's lap, offering what comfort he could. After a few moments a strangled voice broke the quiet tension.



"I dreamed she came and took me away," he offered.



"Who, baby? Who came and took you?"



"She did. She made me leave everyone and I tried to get back, but I couldn't. I was so scared and alone. All I wanted was to be with Daddy and you and Darcy. But she told me I was hers, and that I could never see you again." I felt hot tears roll down my skin, both his and mine.



"Oh, honey! It was just a bad dream, baby. No one can take you from us. I Promise. You're safe at home in your bed and Mr. Darcy is right here with you. No one could get past this beast even if they dared to try. Shush now, and try to relax." He nodded against me, but didn't seem convinced.



For the second time that night, my natural instincts took over. I began rocking the small child in my arms, humming into his sleep-mussed hair. Before I knew what was happening I was singing her song.



Your baby blues

So full of wonder

Your curly cues

Your contagious smile

And as I watch

You start to grow up

All I can do is hold you tight



Knowing clouds will rage

And storms will race in

But you will be safe in my arms

Rains will pour down

Waves will crash all around

But you will be safe in my arms



A ragged sigh rumbled in his chest, causing his little body to shake in my arms. It had been many years since I'd sat on the edge of a bed and sang these words to someone. These were Reese's words, her lullaby, but singing them then to Masen felt every bit as right as they had all those years ago.



Story books full of fairy tales

Of kings and queens and the bluest skies

My heart is torn just in knowing

You'll someday see the truth from lies



Knowing clouds will rage

And storms will race in

But you will be safe in my arms

Rains will pour down

Waves will crash all around

But you will be safe in my arms



When he shifted in my arms I was reminded of all the nights she had climbed in bed with me, begging me to sing "her song." I snuggled him closer, reveling in the feel of him there. His hand on my back began to mirror the patterns I was tracing on his. I was surprised that he was comforting me just as much as I was him.



Castles they might crumble

Dreams may not come true

But you are never all alone

Because I will always

Always love you



Clouds will rage

And storms will race in

But you will be safe in my arms

Rains will pour down

Waves will crash all around

But you will be safe in my arms



As I whispered the last words of the last line of Reese's Song, I realized that they had become so much more. They were Masen's song too. The sleeping child in my arms had healed a part of my heart that I feared never would. Careful to not wake him, I shifted him so that he lay back under the covers. I stood to turn off the light once I was satisfied that he was comfortably resting. I whispered to the mutt, "Stay with your boy, my sweet protector." Though, I doubted wild horses could have dragged him away from Masen. With one last look and light kiss to his forehead, I turned to leave the boy who had so completely altered me without either of us even knowing it to drift deeper into sleep.



"I love you, Masen."



"I love you too, Mom."





~oOo~


Chapter 16 Chapter 18

No comments: