Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sweet and Salty

November




The weather was perfect. A balmy 76 degrees, the sun was high in the sky, not a cloud in sight. The firm sand gave beneath my running shoes a little with each stride I took. I had a great pace going; it felt as if I could run non-stop to Georgia at this rate. Mr. Darcy was comfortable with it too, easily keeping up with me. I had my favorite jogging mix playing on the iPod.



Yeah, I could run forever like this. Or at least to Edward's.



Seven miles. Not that far when you thought about it really. Darce and I could run that, easily. Sure we could. But would it be pathetic to do a jog-by when I had just seen Edward six hours earlier? Hell, who was I kidding? What did I care if it was pathetic? I subconsciously knew I was going to buzz his place the second I decided to head north up the beach rather than south. I figured I had another four and a half miles to Edward's. I had no intentions of stopping, but surely I could run in his general direction and if he just happened to be out on the balcony, or better yet, the beach, then I'd wave and keep right on running.



Yeah, right.


Staying close to the water where the sand was most firm, I settled into a steady rhythm; I looked down at Darcy to be sure he was still alright. I did a quick check of my watch once more to be sure I'd have time to do a "drive by" and make it back to my place in time to shower and get ready for the 5:30 dinner with Masen and Edward tonight. It was 12:45; more than enough time. I'd even be able to give Darcy a quick bath, too.



Edward's condo complex came into view. His was in the farthest building at the end. As I got closer my heart battered against my chest cavity: faster, harder, and not from the pace I was keeping as I ran. I could feel that I was getting closer to him, and while I knew I'd have a very slim chance of seeing him, even from far off, my pulse was racing at the possibility. I counted the buildings as I ran past. One.... Two.... Three.... Four.... Five…. Edward's building. I slowed, hoping to catch a glimpse or maybe just to draw out being this close to him without being noticed. Okay, it was a little stalker-ish, but I didn't care. My jog slowed to a walk and when I made it to the end I paced back in the opposite direction; back and forth in the sand in front of his building.



My heart and lungs wracked my chest in heaving gasps as I fought to catch my breath. I couldn't look up to his balcony, though. I couldn't bring myself to face the possibility of looking up there and not seeing him. My eyes stayed trained on the waves rolling in and lapping at my sneakers. I felt Darcy tug at the leash as he did one of those all over body shakes dogs do so well and back away from the water; pulling me into softer sand and closer to the buildings. That distracted me from my trance. It was then that I glanced up to Edward's balcony to see a very familiar form waving its arms and calling out to the beach below. I tugged one of the earbuds free from my ear and heard Edward's voice calling down, "Hey there, beautiful!" I waved back at him. "Wait there, I'm on my way down!"



I planted my hands on my knees trying to catch my breath before Edward reached the beach. A painful cramp threatened to develop so I started walking at a slow pace. My jogging companion planted his rear in the cool, damp sand and panted. "Thirsty, buddy?" We shared the water I'd brought while we waited. Darcy's leash determined the length of each pass before I had to turn back in the other direction, and then repeat the small track. My pulse and breathing had mostly settled back into a normal pace, at least until I saw him jogging over the dunes to me. Barefoot, bare chested, and in board shorts; my stomach did flip flops and my heart leapt up into my throat.



Damn, this man never fails to take my breath away.



He pulled to a stop just in front of me, and his sun-warmed arms wound around my waist as he picked me up off the sand and spun me around. I had to drop Mr. D's leash to avoid tangling us up in it. As if by reflex, I nuzzled into his neck, breathing him into my lungs and taking a part of him into me. I loved how he smelled like the sea air around us, but fresh at the same time.



"Bella! What are you doing down here at my end of the beach?" The spinning stopped, but Edward still held me a good two feet off the ground. He clung to me as if he hadn't seen me in ages rather than the several hours it had actually been.



"Mr. Darcy needed to blow off some steam, so we went for a run, and somehow ended up at your end of the strip. I really didn't expect to see you, but now that I'm here I'm so glad we did." Every word was spoken into his neck, neither of us ready to part even an inch from the other just yet. When Edward's grip loosened it was just enough to allow me to slide down his body and let my toes touch the sand. I looked at the man holding onto me as if his life depended on it. Darcy sauntered up to Edward and nudged his leg. When his hold on my middle didn't ease to allow him to properly greet the pushy pooch, Mr. D pawed at Edward's thigh until that man relented. With one hand he reached down and scratched Darcy's head and behind his ears. Darce leaned into the affection and even gave Edward's hand a swipe of his tongue in thanks. "Awww, look at that! He does like you, Edward!"



"Nah, he was just testing to see how I taste. Must not agree with his sensitive palate, 'cause he didn't take a second taste." The gorgeous man winked at me. The hand at the small of my back bunched up the soft cotton of my tank top as he rubbed a distracting figure eight there. My own hands slid up from where they clasped his beautifully inked biceps up along his shoulders and across his back and found their way into his hair. I loved the feel of having fists full of his hair in my hands.



"I happen to love the way you taste, Mr. Cullen." I pulled his face down to mine so I could remind myself just how good he tasted. When our lips met the air rushed from my lungs. It was as if he knew exactly what I was going to do; I felt his tongue dart out and make languid sweep across my lips. They parted without my brain having to order them to, and allowed his full access to taste me as well. Mutually satisfied moans escaped from each of us.



"Mmmmmm, salty."



"I was going to say the same thing, Miss Swan. You are perfectly seasoned."



"Care for a second taste?"



"When it comes to you, I always want seconds," Edward kissed me a second time, "and thirds." The next kiss was deeper, and his hands moved down to my ass. He squeezed as my own wandered over the bare skin of his torso. Somewhere in my endorphin addled brain I marveled at the warmth that radiated from his skin. It wasn't long before I became aware of something else that was becoming ever more prevalent on the lower half of his body. I smiled against his persistent kisses. I tried to remind him where we were.



"Sweetie?" More kisses.



"Uh-huh?" More still.



"Edward?" Pressing my palms flat against his chest I managed to pry myself a few inches from him; enough to finally speak. I couldn't help but smirk at his enthusiastic greeting. "Dearest, it seems all the blood has rushed from your brain to other extremities, but this is a public beach. Not to mention that we are just outside your condo where I'm sure we could easily draw an audience, if we haven't already, that is."



Edward's devilish half smile forewarned me of the comment he was forming in his head. "So let's give 'em a show they won't soon forget!" He closed in, eager to commence with the entertaining.



"Down, boy." Darcy, who had long grown bored with our brand of entertainment, looked up from his seat in the sand with a, "Who me?" look on his adorable face. I squatted down to reassure him that I did not mean him. Edward mimicked my stance and started to lavish attention on the mutt at our feet, "No, Darce, she wasn't talking to you!" I sat in the sand next to Darcy, and Edward did the same on the other side of the beast. We continued to rub the mass of bones and slobber between us, grinning like love-sick teens whenever our hands would brush against each other's.



"Come up."



"Excuse me?"


"Come up to the condo." Edward was watching me and I was watching the ocean roll in and out. "You're already here, Masen is itching for you to get here, just come on up."



I was tempted, really I was, but I needed to blow off some more steam, and I wanted to do the date with Masen and Edward the right way. I never expected to see him when I ran in this direction. Okay, a part of me hoped that I would, but I didn't think it would happen. Tonight was just as much about Masen as it was about Edward, and I wanted it to be done the right way. So, as hard as it was to do, I told him no. To his credit and my surprise he didn't argue. He simply rose up in a single, fluid movement that was both graceful and sexy as hell. He reached out to help me up from the sand and his arms went straight to my waist. Our closeness made it difficult to concentrate. Things like his scent, his warmth, the ink etched into his chest, the feel of his hair in my hands, the way the sea breeze made his shorts brush against the bare skin of my legs rushed my senses all at once, but each registering one at a time. It was "Edward Overload." I shook my head slightly to try to clear it. No go.



"At least let me give you two a ride back to your place. No one has to know you're here. You can just meet me in the garage and I'll run up, grab the keys and take you home."



"Um… not a god idea, lover boy."



"What? Why not? It must have taken you more than an hour to get down here. It will take all of seven minutes to get you home if I drive."



"I ran for the exercise, Edward, and it only took about 45 minutes. I appreciate the offer, but Darce and I still have some run left in us." Edward's obvious disappointment showed on his face. He looked an awful lot like a little boy who sat in my classroom five days out of the week when I'd tell him to "keep it down" or to focus on his lessons. Many times I had seen the father reflected in the son; it was very endearing to see the son reflected in the father. I stretched to brush a kiss across his pouting lips to soften the refusal.



"Baby, if you take me home, I might not let you leave. Ever. It’s better this way. While I'd love nothing more than to drag you back to my place and make you my love slave, I made a date with two irresistible guys for tonight, and I'm afraid I have to keep it. Mr. Darcy and I can find our way home just fine on our own, but thank you for the offer." I didn't give him time to argue. I took his face in my hands, kissed him deeply, then Darcy and I turned and started in the direction of home. I looked over my shoulder long enough to call back to him, "We will see you at half past five, beloved. And Mr. Darcy likes his steak on the rare side." With a wink and shake of the lead, Darcy and I took off at a jog. We ran most of the way in silence before I pressed play again. Before long we were at the path that led directly across the road to my house.



The mutt knew the routine, bath first. His, that was. And he loved this part. I unwound the hose in the drive, stooping to collect the bucket that housed his personal grooming supplies. I slipped my iPod in the dock there and smooth chords of a piano flowed from the speakers in the garage. Avril Lavigne's "Innocence" spilled out into the open air. Darcy snapped and played in the stream of water that flowed from the hose. I looked up to the clear, bright sky. It seemed like everything was perfect right now. I felt calm and happy. Content, for once in my life, and just as the song said, I wouldn't change a single thing about my life at that moment. I felt a freaking wuss standing in my driveway, bathing my dog, and wanting to cry from the perfection surrounding me. My own shower came a little sooner than I had planned when Darcy chose that moment to shake the excess water from his coat. Squealing, I sprayed him again, then got down to business with the lather and scrub routine. He sat perfectly still, like the gentleman he always was. He loved this part best; when I massaged and scrubbed away at his tired muscles. When he was covered from ears to tail in suds I rinsed him off and let him have another good shake before I used his personal Sham-Wow to dry him off.



After I cleaned up and collected the leash and iPod we headed inside. Chaucer the cat greeted us at the door, and once we were in the house the two friends went out onto the second floor porch to find a spot in the sun to finish drying out. Chaucer opted to stretch out a few feet from the still damp form of the beast, but they lay nose to nose, sharing a strip of perfect sunshine.



I hurried upstairs to shower and blow dry my hair. I chose to wear a sundress, knowing how Edward loved them. I looked to the clock: 3PM. I still had two and a half hours until I went back to Edward's, so I decided to whip up some dessert for the evening. I thought about something to complement the "surf and turf" we'd be having. I waffled between Pineapple Upside Down Cake and my Gram's Coconut Creme Pie. I went with the pineapple figuring that not everyone liked coconut, but made a mental note to find out if Edward and Masen did. Maybe I'd make it for Sunday dinner.... That was if I got an invitation.



I checked to be sure I had everything I needed for both the cake and the pie and slid a bottle of my favorite bottle of wine into the wine chiller to replace the one I'd be taking with me to Edward's. Then I got busy baking the cake. It didn't take long. Before long the delicious scent of vanilla and pineapple filled the air. I decided to spend the thirty minutes or so it would take to bake at the piano. Alice had other plans. As soon as I sat down the phone rang. I knew immediately it was Alice by "The Phantom of the Opera" ringtone. The only creepier ringtone I could find was the "Death March," and I thought that was a bit over the top, even for Alice. I answered the phone, eager to talk to my friend.



"Hey, Allie. What's up?"



"Hey, B! I hear you'll be in my neck of the woods tonight!"



"Tonight? Hell, I've already been there once today, secretly, I might add, but, yes, I’m having a dinner date with Edward and Masen.”



"Damn! Throw in Cullen Family Sunday Dinner and you could be considered a resident! Get this girl a parking decal!"



"Wait, Sunday Dinner? At the Cullen's? Does that mean what I think it means?"



"Um, if you think that it means that Edward called Esme today and told her that he'd be bringing someone to dinner tomorrow, then yeah."



"Holy shit."



"I know. That's huge, B! You will be coming right?"



"Um, if he asks then I'll say yes."



"Oh, he'll ask. Don't be surprised if Mom calls you herself. That's just how she rolls. So, whatcha gonna wear?"



"Well, seeing as I haven't even received an invitation yet, Alice, I have no fucking clue. Let's save us both some time and you just tell me what to wear."



"Fine. Wear that denim skirt we bought a few weeks ago and the turquoise backless top with the silver gladiator sandals. It'll be casual, but nice for a 'Meet the Rents for the first time' dinner."



"Can't."



"What do you mean, 'Can't'?"



"Um, let's just say the denim skirt was lost in an impromptu 'finger painting' session."



"Bella.... Explain. Now."



"Okay, Edward ruined it when he decided to grab my ass with bike grease all over his hands. I have a perfect replica of each of his hands in grease on each ass cheek. It’s not something I can wear in public, much less to your mother's Sunday Family Dinner. Sorry, Allie."



"OK, wear the black, high waisted skirt, and tuck in the top. Same shoes."



"Aye-aye, captain! How should I wear my hair?"



"Are you mocking me, Bella Swan?"



"No, never, Alice. Pinky swear!"



"Fine. French braid it. So he can see your back."



"Yes, ma'am. I will follow your instructions to the letter. That's if I get the invite."



"Shut it, Bella. You know you will!"



"Okay, okay! I'll trust that your mom is pacing the floor right now waiting for the appropriate time to call and invite me to dinner."



"That's more like it. Now, what are you wearing to Edward's tonight?"



"A sundress. And it’s adorable. And I'm not changing. So don't even try."



"No that's fine, but you do have underwear on, right? I mean, Masen will be there and all." I moaned at the intrusion of privacy.



"Of course, you crazy ass troll! I do have a natural sense of decency! It’s not like I'm a nympho or anything! I'm a damn teacher for heaven's sake!"



"I know, B! But you're the teacher who dry humped a parent on her classroom piano. I'm just making sure."



"Oh, hell! I passionately dislike you sometimes, Alice. I KNEW I should have never let you weasel that story out of me! No more details about my sex life for you missy!"



"Pft, as if I could be that lucky. And you know you adore me. Have fun tonight. I've been banned from 'popping in,' so I'll see you tomorrow at dinner."



"Okay, sounds great. Oh, Alice?"



"Yeah, Bellybutton?"



"Ugh, I hate those nicknames.... Does your family like coconut? I was thinking about making a coconut creme pie to bring tomorrow."



"You don't need to bring anything, Bella, but that would be wonderful. Besides, Emmett will eat anything, so bring whatever you'd like.



"I just didn't want to come empty handed. Thanks, what would I do without you?"



"Hmmm, that's a good question. Let's not find out, okay? Talk to you soon, sweetie! Bye!"



"Bye, Allie-Gator."



"Oh, lord. And student becomes the master...."






~oOo~






Edward's mother did call; just after I hung up with Alice the phone rang again. The sweetest voice answered my greeting and promptly introduced herself as Esme Cullen, Edward and Alice's mom. She was quick to express that she hoped she didn't seem too forward by calling and not just letting her son invite me, but she wanted to personally extend an invitation to the infamous Cullen Family Sunday Dinner. I graciously accepted and asked if it would be okay if I brought the pie. She assured me I didn't need to bring anything, but that the pie would be welcomed and devoured by her brood. When I hung up the phone I was looking forward to the following night and really excited to meet the rest of the Cullens.



With the time I had left, I quickly made the crust for the pie and put it in to bake so it would be ready to assemble the next day. I finally did sit down at my beloved piano for a few minutes and played some of my favorite pieces. My thoughts wandered to nowhere specifically and everywhere at the same time. It wasn't long before the timer was beeping and I snapped out of my trance-like state to pull out the shell to cool on the stove top while I was gone.



Realizing the time, I collected my Pineapple Upside Down Cake, the chilled wine, and Darcy's lead in case he needed to go for a walk. While he was very well behaved, we had very strict leash laws at the beaches. I loaded up the booty and as an afterthought grabbed my Canon camera sitting near the door. Darce and I piled everything into the Porsche and I put the top down for the quick drive to Edward's. The butterflies in my stomach fluttered like the wind in my hair as we sped down the coastal highway.



In a matter of minutes I was at the condo complex, punching in the security code to enter the parking lot and then the second to park in the underground garage like usual. I pulled into the empty space next to Edward's BMW, then Mr. D and I made our way to the elevator. As I stood in the small space I took a few calming breaths. I'd made this trip dozens of times to see Edward and Masen, but this was for an entirely different reason; in a completely different capacity. Darce sat beside me for the short trip, his tail thumping the floor loudly. It was as if he sensed that he was about to see his shortest companion, aside from Chaucer, that is. I half expected to see Masen and his father standing at the elevator when it opened up onto the third floor, but the hall was empty when the doors slid open.



"Let's do this, big guy. Please be on your best behavior and no crotch sniffing, okay?" With one last deep breath we walked down the few feet to Condo 3A and I knocked. Darcy sat at my feet and patiently waited for admittance. When the door opened Edward stood on the other side with his son next to him. It was like looking at them for the first time. Or maybe I was just really seeing them for who they were to me. Together, as a package. They were a family, and with this dinner they were in way inviting me to be a part of that unit. I tried to not be overwhelmed by the thought, but it was nearly impossible. If it hadn't been for Mr. Darcy and his overactive tail thump, thump, thumping against the floor and being entirely irresistible to the affections of one little man child, I would have broken down and sobbed in the cake. And Pineapple Upside Down Cake doesn't taste good soggy.



"Hi there," came Edward's greeting.



"Hi there, yourself," I replied. The two of us stood there gawking at each other like love struck fools.



Masen, unable to contain his excitement at seeing his four legged friend at his house, burst through the door and down onto his knees in front of his friend. "Darcy! I can't believe you're really here! Hey there, boy! How have you been the last few days, buddy?" Masen rubbed the mutt's ears and hugged his neck as Darcy slobbered all over his face and neck and hands. I couldn't help but giggle at the picture in front of me. It was the same greeting that took place in my foyer each Thursday. In his exuberance Darcy knocked Masen back onto his backside and we all chuckled. Mini scampered back on all fours a little ways before popping up and then called Mr. D into the condo after him, "Here, boy, come on in!"



"Hey, punk kid of mine! What do you say to the pretty lady who's apparently baring gifts of delicious proportions?" I chuckled at Edward's reprimand of his son. "Here, let me help you with those," he took the cake and wine as he bent to drop a sweet kiss onto my cheek. I glanced around quickly to see if Masen had noticed. Not a chance; he was all engulfed in his buddy. "Masen, what do you say to Miss B.?"



A suddenly very repentant mussy-haired man child scrambled before me with his companion equally repentant at his side. "Oh, hi, Miss B.! Thanks for the cake! It smells really good. I can't wait to try it. Dad and I have the grill alredy fired up and the veggies and potatoes have been on for a little while now. I hope you like dinner. I think Big D will like his steak! We got him his very own, and the butcher even sent him a bone!" He looked to his dad with the last statement and continued, "But Dad says we had to ask you first about the bone. Does he eat bones?"



Who could resist this angel boy? "Well, I think if we watch him closely to be sure he doesn't choke, then it should be fine for him to chew on it for a while. That was very thoughtful of you and the butcher, Masen. Thank you. And... if it’s okay with your dad-" I looked to Edward, "I think you could drop the Miss when it’s just us. What do you think, Dad?"



Edward thought about it for a second, then answered, "If you're okay with it then I'm okay with it."



I turned my attention to Masen, "Okay, Little Man?"


"Yeah, sure, B." The little charmer punctuated the statement with a shrug and a wink.



Edward took the lead of the night's activities."Let's get dinner finished, you guys, I'm starving! I bet Mr. Darcy wants that bone, Mini Me. Why don't you take him out on the balcony and let him chew on it out there. B and I will put this stuff in the kitchen and be out with the rest of the ingredients for dinner in a few."



"Coolio, daddio."



"Daddio?" Edward and I looked back and forth from one another to Masen.



"Yeah, Uncle Em says it sometimes. It sounds funny."



Edward chuckled, "Well, just as long as you remember the Cullen family motto: 'Don't repeat everything you hear Emmett Cullen say!'" The two recited the motto perfectly in sync. It was obviously something that was said often. "There’re some snacks on the counter for the two legged diners as well, Me. Take those out there for us to munch on while we finish grilling, okay?”



"Sure, Dad. Let's go, Big D!" I watched as Mini walked off to collect his offering for Darcy and warmed as the two friends made their way to the balcony to get their crunch and munch on.



Once in the kitchen Edward set about opening the wine and I took the platter with the steaks and assorted crustaceans out of the fridge. Everything was ready and I hopped up on the counter to watch him make fast work of the cork. I handed him the glasses and he filled them generously. We held up our glasses and he proposed a toast, "To full disclosure."



It was the perfect toast, and I laughed out. "To full disclosure!"



The glasses made a beautiful sound as they came together and it reminded me of a note being played on a piano.



E set his glass down on the counter. Taking mine, he set it beside his. His hand slid lightly up along my bare legs and he moved to stand between my knees. "I don't believe I've been able to properly greet you, my love. Think we can remedy that before the night gets too far away from us?"



Our heads drew steadily closer to each other, "I think we can..."



Just as our lips were about to brush together we heard Mini call from the balcony, "Hey, old man? What's taking so long in there? Mr. D's gonna have this bone chewed to bits and I'm gonna be next on the menu if you two don't get out here with those steaks soon!"



We moaned at the interruption and I thought I heard Edward mutter something about a "cockblocking spawn" under his breath as he helped me down off the counter. "Hold your horses, Mini! You'd think you hadn't eaten all day the way you're squawking!"


He handed me both of our glasses, and grabbed the platter and wine bottle himself. I moved to follow him out of to the balcony when he abruptly stopped and tuned to face me. The wine in our glasses sloshed around when I bumped into him. Without warning his mouth covered mine, and his tongue forced its way into my mouth. I moaned as the raw lust rolled off him in waves. Our lips and tongues tangled. My hands, fighting not to drop the glasses, wanted nothing more than to be all over him at once and had no recourse to do so. His hands were just as full, but our bodies needed to feel one another. Edward pressed against me, and I stepped closer to him, allowing every possible inch of us to be touching. His chest pressed against mine, the tight muscles there rubbing, teasing and I felt my nipples harden instantly. Hungry for more, he ground his pelvis against me, desperate for the friction he'd find there. Eager to feel what I was doing to him I pushed back against him just as hard and my hips moved to match his. Quiet moans and gasps escaped from between our lips as his insistent movements backed me against the counter. With me pinned he could move against me as his body needed him to. It wasn't but a few seconds before he had a rhythm that had us both panting more than kissing.



"Edward, I'm already so close."



"Me too"



"But, Mas-"



"Shush."



The platter was set on the counter on one side of my hips and the bottle of wine on the other side. I braced my wrists on the counter behind me, my hands still grasping the wine glasses. His newly emancipated hands went straight to my hips, holding me still against him. He moved with purpose, each thrust finding purchase right where I needed to feel him most. The growing warmth in my center grew hot and intense. I felt my stomach tighten in anticipation of the impending release. I whimpered my need into his open mouth. A few thrusts latter and we were both riding the tidal wave of our mutual orgasms. Edward kissed me several times as we came down from the passion. Foreheads pressed together he looked into my eyes. "I don't know what came over me, Bella. I'm..."



I silenced his apology with a tender kiss. "Now that's what I call a proper greeting, Mr. Cullen."



His mouth twisted into my favorite smirk. "I'm gonna need to change. Can you handle things for a second?"



"Of course I can. Go, and be quick about it. I'm suddenly ravenous."



"GUYS!!! Where are the da-gum steaks?" Masen's voice called from the balcony.



"Coming!" I called out to him.



"I believe the proper use of the verb would be 'came,' Miss Swan." He dropped a quick kiss on my lips.



"Oh, stop gloating, and go!"






~oOo~





"What took you so long?" In one hand I had the platter of food and in the other I had a few sodas for Masen.



"Well, your dad was having problems with the corkscrew and the cork broke all in the wine, so we were fishing cork out of our glasses."



"Figures, he does that a lot."



"Oh, he does?"



"Yeah, we can't decide if the corkscrew stinks or if it’s an operator error. At least that's

what Jazz calls it."



I found it interesting that my fictional excuse actually had merit. What happened in that kitchen between Edward and me would give new meaning to "corkscrew." The thought flew through my mind.



Believe me, it has nothing to do with operator error. That man knows exactly how to operate his corkscrew.



"Well, he'll be out in a few seconds. In the meantime, let's get these puppies on the grill!"



Masen and I arranged the steaks and lobster tails on the grill, saving the shrimp for last. Edward joined us soon after that. He had our wine and wore the same clothes he had on earlier and Mini didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I excused myself to use the restroom, and stopped by the kitchen to fill a bowl with water for Darcy and grab the camera. When I came back on the balcony Edward was fussing over the steaks and Mini was sitting on the ground next to Mr. D, petting him as he gnawed away at his precious bone. I put the bowl down on the floor and leaned against the door jamb. I quietly clicked off a few frames without being noticed: Edward's Adonis-like form at the grill and Masen interacting with Darcy as he thoroughly enjoyed the bone.



I'd been in this condo dozens of times now. I'd been in each of its rooms, I'd even had dinner here on several occasions, but I wasn't sure how I should be here, in this space in this moment. I wanted to go to Edward and wrap my arms around his waist from behind as he stood over the hot grill. At the same time I was torn between wanting to go to the man-child snuggling with my mutt and join him there on the ground. I looked from the father to the son. Each caught up in what they were doing at the moment, but completely content and relaxed in this space in time. It was then, standing just outside their bubble that I realized that I wasn't on the outside anymore. I was a part of this little scene. Sure it was new, and maybe little unsteady, but I was woven into its pattern now.



I pushed off the door and walked over to stand next to the mess of bronze hair that I had looked at so often, I'd even tried to tame it once or twice, and I sank to the floor next to the boy who'd looked up at me. We sat shoulder to shoulder, much like we did for one of our lessons, our backs propped against an outdoor couch. I reached behind me to grab a pillow, clutching it to give my hands something to do as I decided how to continue.



My thoughts were interrupted by his "little man" voice; wise beyond its years, "So, Dad told me this morning that you two have been seeing each other. Like dating. For a while now." He sounded so grown up, or like he was trying to sound that way.



I tried not to laugh, but it still escaped and ended up sounding like a muffled snort. "Yeah, M, we have been. It’s been about, what, two months now, Edward?"



That man never looked up from his grill. He simply answered, "About that long, baby."



I could hear the grin in his voice, and with those four words everything was out in the open as far as Masen was concerned. He knew Edward and I were together, and he knew for how long we'd been together.



"Wow, two months. That is a long time -- for Dad, at least. Either you have a ton of patience to put up with his crap, or you have no short term memory like that chick in that movie Aunt Rose and and Aunt Allie made me watch."



I knew exactly the one he meant, 50 First Dates.



"Yeah, that one."



"No, Mini, my memory's fine. Believe me, your dad is very memorable," Masen groaned at the potentially sappy, lovey-dovey moment. I continued, "But to be honest, you both are very memorable."



"You have to say that, Miss B! I mean, B."




"I most certainly do not! Why would I?"



"'Cause you are my teacher and you're seeing my dad. That's a double whammy. If you don't say it then you could crush my fragile student ego or possibly ruin this 'little thing' you have going with my Dad." He rolled his eyes dramatically letting me know he was kidding.



"Oh, Masen... don't you know me better than that by now? After all we've been through? First of all, I have never been, nor will I ever be, concerned with your 'fragile ego,' 'cause no such thing exists. You, sir, are completely self-assured. Something you get from your father. I know this for a fact. Secondly, this 'little thing' as you called it, could actually have its own zip code!"



I tousled his hair and draped my arm around his shoulders. I loved that he snuggled into the curve of my side and how his head fell back to rest against my shoulder. I took this as my opportunity to speak my piece about the new twist on our relationships. "Seriously, MM, the fact that your dad and I were ready to bring you in on this should say something to you. I hope I don't have to tell you that nothing changes as far as school goes, mister. As for when it's just us, well, I don't see where much will change there either, except all three of us can spend more time together now. You down for spending a little more time with me, kiddo?"



Masen shifted so he could look right at me. "You're joking, right, B? ‘You had me at Hello.'"



"What? Did you just quote Jerry Maguire to me, Little Man? And what is that supposed to mean, exactly?"



"Yep, I did. But I've never seen it. Dad says I'm not old enough. Uncle Emmett told me all about it, though. What I mean is that we always have fun when you're around. Now you get to be around even more? I'd say it’s a win, win situation." He settled back against me. Darcy scooted closer and rested his massive head in Mini's lap. The boy took the less then subtle hint and stroked him lovingly. Both let out a contented, audible sigh.



"So we're all cool here, right?"



"Yeppers. Cool as a cucumber."



"Has anyone ever told you that you have a way with words, Masen?"



"Well, my Uncle Emmett says I'm a smart as- uh, butt."



"He does, does he? Well, I've met your Uncle Emmett and I'd say that it takes one to know one." I looked up at Edward who had been "pretending" to pay very close attention to the ingredients on the grill while I knew very well that he had been listening to every syllable. It was obvious from the huge grin he was sporting. His eyes met mine and everything stood still. Months of worry and concern melted away. I sat there, not wanting the moment to end. Edward broke the connection when he jovially declared that dinner was ready.



We ate on the balcony, looking out over the waves. Dinner was delicious, the view was paradise, and the conversations were light and easy. It was like we had always been this way. When the plates had been cleared I served the cake and both of my men gobbled it down and petitioned me for seconds. Gluttons. I relented, warning them against tummy aches and "going soft" if they ate too much. Edward and I moved to the kitchen to start cleaning up. Masen was close behind us with the rest of the remnants from our wonderful meal. I went about scraping plates and making stacks as I rinsed them. Mr. Darcy sat at my feet watching my every move. Talk about a glutton! He'd had his own steak and a side of veggies, and there he was praying some scrap or morsel would fall to its untimely demise and he could inhale it.



Well, you do call him Hoover for a good reason.



I was surprised when Edward came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. I looked to Mini from the corner of my eye to see what his reaction would be to seeing this level of physical interaction between the two of us. Edward had held my hand some at dinner, but that was the extent of PDAs so far. He spoke into my hair, "Come on, this is Masen's job, anyway. Let the little moocher earn his keep and come play with me...." The shocked look on my face and the blush that crept across my cheeks had Edward laughing and quick to add clarification to his invitation, "The piano, Bella!"



I just rolled my eyes at him, and dried my hands on the dish towel. "You okay with these dishes, Little Man?"



He bumped me out of the way, "Yeah, B, I got this. I'm used to Dad's slave driving ways. He's a real ball buster when he wants to be."



My eyes got wide as we both turned to look in disbelief at the boy next to us. In the span of forty-five seconds both Cullen "men" had succeeded in shocking me into blushing.



Edward calmly asked, "Um, Masen, do you know what that means?" Oooh, this was going to be fun to watch how he handles this one. He stood before his miniature carbon copy, one arm wound around my waist, the other he rested on Mini's shoulder. I laughed to myself, he looked so much like a father at that moment.



"Sure. It’s what you call someone who makes you work hard."



"Okay," Edward drew out the last syllable trying to buy time to think of what to do or say next. "Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you learned that from Emmett. Am I right?"



"Nope." We were both shocked at that admission.



"Then who did you hear it from?"



"Mikey." Now it was my turn to join the questioning.



"As in Newton?"



"Yeah. He says that's what his dad calls his mom when she wants him to do something he doesn't want to do. I am using correctly, aren't I?"



"Uh, you are actually, but it’s not a very nice term. It’s not something you usually use in polite company, Mase. So I wouldn't go around using it. Okay? Meanwhile, I'll speak to Mikey about his language." That was one conversation I was not looking forward to and I groaned inwardly at the thought of possibly another parent teacher conference with Mr. or Mrs. Spewton.



"So, what does it mean?" Edward cleared his throat and I squirmed under Masen's questioning gaze. Thankfully, Edward came to the rescue.



"I'll explain it later. After Bella leaves."



"Um, okay, Dad."



"Finish up those few dishes and then come hang out with us in the living room, ok, buddy?"



"Will do."




~oOo~




The rest of the night went relatively smoothly. Edward and I sat on the couch and finished our wine while Masen finished the dishes. I felt bad, but Edward assured me that this was one of Masen's household chores. While we were alone he told me about talking with Emmett and Esme earlier and I told him about Esme calling me. He made certain I felt comfortable with going and I assured him that I was. Mini joined us not long afterward and asked if he could take Darcy down to the beach to play Frisbee. I almost agreed but then remembered that the mutt had already had one bath today, and I doubted he'd want a second.



We all agreed to watch a movie instead. Mini tried to get Edward to let him watch Jerry Maguire, and Edward refused. We settled on Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. I snuggled on the couch with the older Cullen, while the younger got comfy on the floor with Mr. Darcy. Before the movie's end, Masen had his head propped on the beast's chest. The rhythmic rise and fall must have been too much for the Little Man, because when the closing credits rolled over the screen he was out cold. Edward scooped up his son and with a nod of his head, motioned for me to follow. We walked back to Masen's room and I watched from the doorway as the man I adored gently laid Masen down on the bed and tucked him in.



"Shouldn't you change his clothes?" I whispered even though Edward had closed the door behind us.



"Naw, he's a boy. They sleep fully clothed all the time. He'll probably wake up at some point and change anyway. So, wanna go back and watch another movie, and by 'watch another movie' I mean make out or wanna go back to my room and make out?"



"Wow, so many varied choices, Mr. Cullen. You really know how to show a girl a good time. Are those my only options? Make out or... make out?"



"Well, I did show you a pretty fucking amazing time earlier. And if you'd prefer to return to the kitchen for a command performance, then I'm all for that too." He moved like he was going to head in that direction, but I pulled him to a stop and tugged him to me. My arms circled his neck and his, my waist.



"As tempting as the offer is, I think one dry hump in the kitchen a day is enough for me, thank you."



"So where should I dry hump you next, Miss Swan?"



I shook my head at him, "No more dry humping tonight, I'm afraid."



"Ooooh, this sounds promising! I say we just head straight for the bedroom, less travel time that way." A quick glance at my watch showed that it was quarter past ten.



"As tempting as all this smooth talking is, love, I have one sleepy mutt to get home, not to mention that I have a big day tomorrow."



Edward tried his best to convince me to stay, if even for a little while longer. By the time I made it out of there it was nearly eleven o'clock and I was a disheveled mess. Not to mention that I left minus an article of clothing -- my underwear. He insisted that if I wasn't going to stay, then I needed to leave something behind for him to remember me by. I tried to remind him that he still had the Pyrex pan I had baked the cake in, but he said he was hoping for something a little more "intimate." Before I knew what was happening, the man had my thong off and was tucking it into his shorts pocket. He then proceeded to "make it worth my while." That man's mouth was more magical than Harry Potter's wand.




~oOo~




No comments: